My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://spotlightofpeace.com
and update your bookmarks.

Whose Land is this?

One fine morning I was standing along with my friend on the pavement of his farmhouse. Looking across the vast tract of the land, I was astounded by the natural beauty. The land was under cultivation- green and pleasant everywhere, the crop going to be ripe in few weeks’ time and ready for harvesting and then consumption.

A strange question rose within me and I asked my friend with whom I always share my inner feelings and we both usually think on the same frequency.

“Whose land is this?”

Good question and a very simple answer: “Its mine.” He said smilingly, probably surprised by my innocence.

“From where did you get it?”

“I inherited it from my father.” Was the answer given by him with a pinch of salt.

“Who gave it to your father?”

“My grandfather gave it to him.” By now my friend was looking slightly uncomfortable, as if I was to conduct an enquiry as a representative of the Revenue Department.

“Who gave it to your grandfather?” Despite temptation I did not ask this question. But I asked few more questions from myself and tried to answer them as well.

Who was the first person who owned this land and then transferred it to his generations? How did the land originally come to his possession? Did he buy it or somebody gifted it to him or did he snatch it from some body?

Probably no one can answer these questions correctly. Then what is the legitimacy of this land which is at present in possession of my friend? Taking the same analogy, what is the justification of lands and mountains and rivers and seas that are now claimed by the states and governments as their bona-fide, legitimate and national territory?

Someone would tell us a golden rule. The land belongs to the person who possesses it. Even if the possession is wrong and illegal, it does not matter. The time will ultimately justify it. After a prolonged period of time, people will forget about the legitimacy or otherwise, and accept the ground reality on its face value.

Should it be like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment